Bold talk from a new blogger don’t you think?
Is blogging the most powerful marketing tool ever? Maybe earned media for short term results, but, I’m sticking with blogging.
Blogging is the Swiss Army Knife of marketing.
Articles published on a blog is a direct, real-time conduit to customers, a bi-directional conversation channel, a trust builder, a brand enhancer, a search engine rankings tool and a lead generation machine.
It’s a way to get media attention and it’s a competitive advantage.
“Blogging and blogs has democratized the ability to publish thoughtful commentary, build a noteworthy community and equalize influence along the way”Brian Solis
26 + 6
5 Reasons Why blogging is Powerful
- Blogging is free,
- Blogging gives people something to talk about
- Blogging demonstrates thought leadership
- Builds your authority
- Strengthens credibility
- Blogging is social
- Blogging is rich, dynamic, and fluid
- It’s words, sounds, pictures and movies
- Blogging builds a community
- It personalizes, and
- Humanize your business
- Blogging extents your reach
- Expands your influence
- Blog is a place to share ideas
- Get suggestions from your audience
- A place to tinker
- Blogging is permission centric
- Generates leads
- Blogging helps with SEO
- Is a link magnet,
- Brings traffic.
- Blogging strengthens your reputation
- Blogging is a differentiator
- It is a competitive advantage
- It helps with inbound marketing
- It is a resource, an asset and a proven business model
- Blog answers customer queries
- Is a customer service tool
- Blog build loyalty
- Blog posts have long life span
- Blogging can generate opportunities e.g. speaking gigs, interview requests
- Blogging is free, did I mention that?
Does blogging matter?
“…a common line I often say about why people should blog is that if you don’t tell your story then who will?” Wayne Sutton
Blogging only matter because it gives potential people something to talk about.
Use of a blog helps to build relationships, tell stories, creates opportunities to get found, builds your brand and helps to educated, inform and even to recruit employees.
Tell me which single business (marketing) tool can do all this?
Consumer behavior has changed and business need to embrace this change. People don’t want to feel like they are being “sold” something. People want to relate and interact with you.
A blog is the active, dynamic and the alive side of your business. It outreach to people side. It’s the ’we are doing something here’ and we are letting you know about it place.
Here is another perspective on blogging and its usefulness.
Blogging anchors your work and builds a community, a vivid and fuller picture of whom you are and why you are doing what you do.
“A blog with consistent, truthful and helpful content will allow you to bridge that gap between distrust to trust.” Neil Patel
Client need to know you, like you, trust you, before they will buy from you.
“Some of the most successful blogs exude passion for their subject matter very well. It’s what sets everything in motion, pure passion”
You too can Blog to be an Expert (aka make money)
These technology bloggers that have blogged their way to becoming an expert in their field.
- Robert Scoble
- Brian Solis
- Jeremiah Owyang
- Pete Cashmore (Mashable)
- Michael Arrington (Tech Crunch)
- Megan McCarthy (ex-Wired, Valley Wag)
That last part is critical; “they have become experts in their field”. Their focus was on publishing long-form, brilliant articles that put their talent and knowledge on display. They did not focus on themselves.
Blogging is great for SEO
Google LOVES fresh content as much as back links.
The more you publish, the more pages get indexed by Google. The more pages indexed the better chances they will be found and the more website traffic you will get. Creating a store house of blog posts on your site is the tailwinds that will fill your sails with leads, powering your business.
So naturally, the more content you have the more likely you are going to have something that a reader wants to read and share with friends.
The two main SEO purposes to blogging are:
1. Blogging builds up content on your website and each post counts as another indexed page in the search engines.
2. Blogging helps you rank (as long as it’s done the right way) for long tail keywords – which is awesome.
Actionable Marketing Takeaway for Blogging
Blogging is the most powerful marketing tool ever. Communicating with potential customers, build trust and loyalty, increase website visitors, SEO, thought leadership, reputation building, etc. The list is greater then 26. Business that are blogging reap the rewards, those that don’t miss out.
And some last numbers about blogging.
- Nearly 40% of US companies use blogs for marketing
- Companies that blog have 55% more visits to their website
- B2B companies generate 67% leads/month more than those that don’t
There is value in blogging for your small business. But blogging alone won’t magically give you traffic and leads. Your blog must be optimized, promoted and rich with content. Blogging is not easy, but, there are big rewards also.
What experiences are you having with blogging or you blog? I would love to hear your comments below.